Thursday, June 9, 2011

If Things Were Different (2005)

Standing here making coffee.
Can't believe I'm only making one
If you were here
I would be making two
One for me, one for you.

But you're not here
So I suppose it doesn't matter
I suppose you're just making your own.


It's kinda maddening
To sit and think 

That you could be here.
If things were different.

If things were different

Would I know you at all?
Would I miss you as much as I do?

Would any of this be relevant?
Or would I be nothing to you?

Does this time spend apart

Change us inside?
Does it make us value time more?
When I see you
Would I be as excited?
Would your love for me be as sure?

Questions, all questions

I wish the answers were mine
But don't ask anyone these questions
You just might not like what you find.

If things were different

I might be holding you now
But looking the opposite way
If things weren't tough and difficult
I just might not know you today

So keeping what I have
And trying to be somewhat content
Even though it's not always perfect
I'm glad I went the way I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment